I finally finished a very belated birthday gift for my youngest niece. Whew! It has only taken me a month and a half…Oh, I began the idea search early enough, as weeks before, with tablet in hand I searched for the perfect pattern for a small cross body bag for a young teen girl. And Google didn’t disappoint. I combed through 100’s of patterns and/or ideas to create small bags, finally settling on this particular pattern
Her birthday came and went at the beginning of May and I had the project close to completion the day before her birthday but didn’t have a magnetic snap closure required to finish. Rather than rush to complete it in a different way I decided to let her know that the gift was not finished and she should watch the mailbox for it to arrive(I hope she hasn’t given up on its arrival).
After purchasing the snap and having a little more time to finish, I realized that what I had done didn’t seem like the finished project I had imagined. :-[
I had several concerns including-the finished size, color combination, and the strap that I had decided to add to to make it a purse instead of a phone case. All of those issues meant that starting from scratch was the only answer. Back to square one.
This time I increased the size of each piece to create a larger finshed project, changed my color combination, and purchased some small metal loops for attaching my newly engineered strap. But once again I got close to completion and didn’t like what was developing.
With a slow deep beath, I began again, this time with a new focus. I could see this done with denim and after searching my stash I found an old pair of toddler size jeans left over from Honorable Sons. I had kept them to be used as patches for worn out jeans but they became the perfect fabric to get this project to the finish line.
I was able to use the back pocket as the flap for the purse outer pocket and chose to cut the pocket panel on the seam of the jeans to add an interesting detail in the finished bag.
I used a pink calico from my stash as a contrast and…there is that magnetic snap closure that started this journey.
I decided to cut the strap on the bias to make it a little more flexible. Working with small pant legs as the biggest piece of fabric meant that there would be several bias pieces. To add interest, I cut several pieces of calico on the bias too and randomly pieced the strap together.
After such a crooked path, this project is finally complete. Although it took three tries to get there, the satisfaction of having a finished project close to your beginning vision is definitely worth the effort.
Now to get it in the mail before Dear Niece’s next birthday…..