Over the past several years, through size changes and wardrobe reflections, a search for the perfect button-front blouse has been a constant. I find that RTW (ready-to-wear) blouses rarely flatter my short-waist-ed, narrow-shouldered body. Each time I carry yet another possible blouse purchase to the store dressing room my hopes are dashed after one quick look into the mirror and my resolve to produce my own well-fitting blouse grows stronger.
Several months ago while perusing through patterns and pattern reviews, I came upon a McCall’s pattern that looked like I might finally have a chance at creating my illusive perfect button-front blouse.
The princess seams, two piece sleeves, and front/back yokes give the garment maker lots of places to easily make adjustments to the final fit. The pattern also includes the Palmer/Pletsch tissue fitting method instructions and diagrams giving the garment creator trustworthy information for making fitting adjustments.
The fabric for my first version of this shirt is a dark navy with white print cotton/lycra blend purchased from Fabric.com for a client project. The client had some very specific fabric requests for several Cleric shirts, I purchased this piece of fabric knowing that if she chose not to use it, I would.
Over several selfish Saturday sewing days, (with a Christmas gift sewing delay) I worked to get this shirt completed. I made several adjustments to the pattern tissue before cutting with most of those adjustments coming from both comparing body measurements to the pattern and from a RTW chambray shirt that is also made from a cotton/lycra blend and has a fit close to what I was searching.
- Shoulders were cut narrower
- Body length was shortened
- Pocket size was made smaller
- Snaps used instead of buttons
I am going to wear this new shirt a few times to make sure of the fit, but I think there will be several more of this McCall’s shirt in my future. Finally.